Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere,
I've looked at clouds that way.
But now they only block the sun,
They rain and they snow on everyone
So many things I would have done,
But clouds got in my way.
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all
-Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now"
It was a long time ago that my people, the Nunnehi, sung of Summer Country. A kingdom, rich, fresh and sweet with dreams and full of glamour. A time when anything was possible and there was peace throughout the lands. We shared a sacred bond with some of the others out there, our allies amongst us, the shifters; brothers Wendigo, Croatan and Uktena. Our families, people and tribes were strong then and times were good...though things were not always to last and soon did times change. The foreigners came to our lands across the Great Seas with their diseases and lies.
They poisoned the lands and brought with them the cold harsh winter of banality and forced upon us their beliefs and strange ways. That was the time when the great storm came to pass throughout the Dreaming and the horrid things of Nightmares came into being, striking across the lands in suffocation and threatening our very lives. It was only the time of the great sacrifice that held the monsters at bay and our friends along with much of our family were lost. Now...now the Kingdom has a new name. A different time to come as the Seelie courts of the Sidhe try to take firm hold over the area, freeholds within, and around, attempting to enforce their regime and standards upon all who live within.
Now is the time for the setting sun and so the kingdom was given root: Kingdom of the Setting Sun for its different times and grasping what was left of the glamour left within the city. Changelings around and alike fight for the dreams that mankind has left to hold back the bitter tides of Winter, some fight the harsh restrictions and politics of the courts while others simply try to survive the banality that eats away at our Fae selves every night and day. These...are different times my friend, though there lie ahead many paths to choose from here.
Rules and Systems
Escheat and Introductions
While the County of Lion's Reach currently has a NPC Countess, Naevys, the interpretation and enforcement of the Escheat has largely been left to the various PC Barons, Baronesses and Commoner Holders that rule over the various parts of the County. Laws are laws for a reason, and it is entirely possible that the punishment for any given offense might vary immensely depending on who happens to hand the verdict out.
- Newcomers to the County, especially Kinain, need to introduce themselves to one or more of the ruling Nobles/Commoner leadership in the region. This is for both the safety of the newcomer(s) and the security of the County. It should also be kept in mind that each Noble may very well have vastly differing expectations of said newcomers, and of how they expect them to uphold the Escheat (OOC: try asking on the Changeling channel to set up a meeting, or page or @mail any of the names mentioned below).
- Various other Kinain and Kithain can be found and made introduction to in the Waking World. Each are also good first points of contact in the County (page, @mail or ask OOC on the Changeling sphere channel to meet, IC):
- History of Lion's Reach may be found HERE.
- Duchy of the Setting Sun
- Part of the Grand Kingdom of Concordia
- Some of this is canon (Nobles: The Shining Host 51-53 / Kingdom of Willows 174), some of it is made up
- Setting Sun may have been carved out of Illusions at some point in the past
- History of Lion's Reach may be found HERE.
PCs who choose to be members of a County or Barony recognize the authority of its leaders, and agree to follow the terms of the Escheat as interpreted by them or accept the consequences for breaking faith.
- Caer Buillemilis - County Seat of Lion's Reach.
- Icepeak Tavern - Owned by Locke located at Snow Fang Peak.
- Lost In Time Market - Commoner operated, overseen by the County; located outside Rhapsody Freehold.
- Rêves à Vendre - Owned by Sir John Balance (ap Beaumayn). At Lost in Time Market, Northeast face.
- Blue Boar Inn - The inn at Rhapsody Freehold.
- Covey-Fychell College - Operated by the faculty and restricted to its students and staff, unless otherwise noted for festivals or by invitation. Lost in Time Market, Southwest face.
- Dragon's Roost Tavern - Located outside the Barony of Starlit Caverns, in the County of Emerald Dale.
|Ongoing Changeling Plots
|Past Changeling Plots
||The Natives Are Restless
||They're not particularly interested in me or you
||The Great Tree
||It all started with a seed. It was a singular kernel born from the first spark of intelligent thought. It was the first Dream.
Feel free to add your name here if you're interested in running one-shot PrP events.
- January 14: Hogmany (The Old New Year and the prelude to the celebration of Imbolc)
- February 2: Imbolc (A celebration of the Balefire)
- February 14: Lupercalia (Local to Lion's Reach, celebrates purification and fertility)
- February 28: Carnival (Celebrates the unity between the Nobles and Commoners)
- March 21: Ostara (Local to Lion's Reach, celebrates the Vernal Equinox)
- April 4: The Greening (Informally celebrates the beginning of Spring)
- May 2: Beltaine (Traditionally marks the beginning of the Seelie half of the year)
- June 21: Midsummer (Celebrates the longest day of the year)
- July 17: Highsummer Night ('Pranksgiving'; celebrates freedom for all)
- August 1: Lughnasadh (Marks the beginning of the harvest season)
- September 21: Mabon (Local to Lion's Reach; celebrates when light and dark are equal)
- October 4: Pennons (Celebrates the arts of war and competition)
- October 31: Samhain (Traditonally celebrates the beginning of the Unseelie half of the year)
- November 5: Guy Fawkes Day (Celebrates Commoner freedom)
- December 22: Midwinter's Night/Yuletide (Celebrates the longest night of the year)
- December 25: Saturnalia (Merrymaking and revelry)
- December 26: Boxing Day (Celebrates Noble and Commoner ties)